Whenever I write “brats” in an email, my non-midwestern friends think I’m talking about mischievous kids. No, I’m not suggesting you wrap up your children. These are bratwurst. Enjoy!
1 large onion
1 or 2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper
6 fully cooked bratwurst, any variety
6 slices cheese, any variety
6 flour tortillas, warmed
Slice onion. Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onions, and season with salt and pepper. Cook onions over medium heat until very soft and very well-browned. If the onions begin sticking to the pan during cooking, add about a tablespoon of water and stir. This also serves to loosen all the good-tasting “bits” cooked to the bottom of the pan. Regardless of whether the onions have stuck or not, add about two tablespoons of water to the pan when onions are done. Stir, and set bratwurst on top of onions. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes until brats are heated through.
Top each tortilla with a slice of cheese, a bratwurst, and some of the onion mixture. Roll up and serve.
- I always make these ahead of time. I don’t warm the tortillas. I roll each wrap in a sheet of waxed paper, and they last a week in the refrigerator. Heat for 90 seconds on high in the microwave when ready to serve.
- Use any variety of bratwurst you like. Our favorite is turkey cheddar.
- We use whole wheat tortillas. Healthy and yummy!
- We use American cheese, but any variety will work.
- A print-friendly version of this recipe can be found here.