This is a super-simple and highly versatile breakfast recipe. It’s the perfect opportunity to customize, based on what you happen to have on hand and according to your family’s specific tastes. Enjoy!
2-3 Tablespoons butter
1/2 pound ham, cubed
6 slices bread, cubed
1 cup shredded cheese, any variety
spices to taste
2 cups milk
Place butter in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish, into a cold oven. Set oven to 350 degrees, and allow butter to melt in baking dish as oven preheats. When the butter is melted, remove it from the oven (but don’t turn the oven off.) Add half the bread cubes to the baking dish. Sprinkle the ham, cheese and spices over the top. Add the remaining bread cubes. In a large bowl, beat eggs lightly, then add milk. Pour over bread cubes in baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Substitute breakfast sausage, bacon, or anything you like. Just make sure it’s fully cooked first.
- Or, go meatless!
- This is a great way to use stale bread or buns. Substitute three hamburger or hot dog buns for the bread.
- Use whatever spices you like. I use salt, pepper, minced onions, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, and chives.
- Have some leftover vegetables? Add them! My favorite addition is spinach, but anything works!
- A print-friendly version of this recipe can be found here.