I’ve never met a brisket I didn’t like, but for some reason I rarely cook it. I suppose it’s because it’s a slow process and I’m usually in too much of a hurry. That’s what makes this recipe great. It does take awhile, but you can put it in your slow cooker and ignore it!
Plan ahead, because the meat needs to marinate. There are several ways to marinate meat.
- If your meat is fresh (not frozen), simply place it in a plastic bag with the marinade and let it set in your refrigerator overnight.
- If your meat is frozen, it can thaw and marinate all at the same time. Place the frozen meat in the plastic bag with the marinade ingredients and let it thaw in your refrigerator overnight (or longer).
- My favorite method by far is to freeze it together. When you buy the meat, place it in a freezer bag with the marinade ingredients and freeze it all together. Most people will tell you it will hold about three months. I think it will hold much longer than that. A year even. The day before you’re ready to use it, take it out of the freezer and put it in the refrigerator. It will all thaw together and the next morning you’ll be ready to put it into the slow cooker with no work whatsoever.
1-3/4 to 2 pound beef brisket
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon flour (Wondra, if you have it!)
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Dash cayenne pepper (optional, I don’t use)
Combine all ingredients in a plastic bag and marinate overnight. Empty entire bag into slow cooker (meat and sauce), add 1/2 cup water, and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Slice meat and serve with sauce.
- I don’t usually make recipes with ingredients I don’t have on hand. But the sesame oil is worth it and will last forever. You can use it in many dishes especially of the Asian variety.
- Be sure to buy brisket and not corned beef. Corned beef is completely different.
- A printer-friendly version of this recipe can be found here.